In these modern Corona times, the use of the microphone has increased exponentially in laptop users. A lot of people are using microphones for their online classes as well as conferences and other events.
This sudden increase in usage has also made people realize the problems that can arise and cause a microphone to malfunction. If your laptop’s microphone isn’t working, it doesn’t necessarily mean you need to replace it, it might have a simple problem.
Microphone not working has become a common issue and can arise because of several reasons. This guide will describe each issue and tell you how to troubleshoot and resolve your microphone issue.
To explain in a better way, we will categorize the problems and explain each one by one:
1. Microphone Not Working Windows 10: How to Resolve?
Windows 10 has been reported numerous times about malfunctioning of the microphone. This common problem can occur because of several reasons and has easy fixes and solutions.
Enable Microphone Access
First of all, what you need to check is that is your microphone enabled for use on your laptop and with-in apps. If yes, then there might be a different problem. However, if you don’t know then this might be the only issue.
The solution to this issue is very simple and fast. You just need to follow the following simple steps:
1. Go to settings from Start Menu.
2. Select the Privacy Tab.
3. Select the Microphone Tab on the left side.
4. Click on the Change button.
5. A pop-up window will appear providing you with the option to enable the microphone.
6. Moreover, you can also change access to all apps to the microphone from here.
Hence, you have enabled your microphone for your laptop and you can also personalize this access for all apps. That means you can deny microphone access to a single app if you want.
Read More: Top 10 XLR Microphones for Podcasting
Default Recording Device
If the problem is not resolved after applying the above-mentioned issue, there might be a default recording device problem that is not allowing others to hear you.
To make sure that your externally attached microphone is the default recording device, you must follow the following steps:
1. Go to the Start menu and open Settings
2. From there, click on the System tab and then on the Sound tab.
3. From there you can select and change your audio input device.
4. Make sure your microphone is selected as the default audio recording device.
5. You can also sound test your microphone from here.
If the microphone not working problem persists and you are not able to test the microphone, you might be facing other problems.
Other problems include hardware ones. You can go through these steps to make sure if the problem is from your side or not:
1. If your microphone or headset has a mute button, make sure it isn’t enabled.
2. Make sure your microphone or headset is properly connected to the laptop or PC.
3. If you are using a PC, try connecting the headset cables in backside ports, because front ports are sometimes not connected to the motherboard.
If the problem persists, then your headset or microphone is faulted. You must contact your provider or visit a local store to claim a warranty or get it replaced.
2. Microphone Not Working on Zoom: How to Make it Work?
Configuring audio inside a zoom meeting is extremely easy. If you are facing a microphone not working problem inside a zoom meeting, you might go through the following steps to make sure everything is fine from your side.
1. After you have joined a meeting, click the Join Audio button on the bottom left corner of the screen.
2. You will be presented with a pop-up screen that will allow you to join the meeting using your computer audio.
3. There is an option on this screen to test audio and speakers before joining in on a meeting.
4. You can use this option now, or if there is a problem after proceeding from here then later test both the microphone and the speakers.
5. On the meeting screen, this option is located in the small arrowhead inside the mute\unmute button in the bottom left corner.
6. If the problem persists, then either there is a problem with your hardware or there is a problem with your computer’s internal settings.
You can solve that computer’s problem by following the rest of this guide.
3. Microphone Not Working Windows 8: Easy Fixes
If you have a Microphone Not Working problem in Windows 8 operating system, it is even easier to solve. You can follow the following simple steps to solve this problem:
1. Click on the speaker icon in the taskbar which is in the bottom right corner of your screen.
2. Go to Audio Devices from there and click on the Recording tab to see all available recording devices.
3. From there, select the device you want as your microphone and set it to default.
4. You can also test your microphone in this dialogue box.
5. If it still doesn’t work, you can go to the device properties and increase or decrease its level.
6. If you are unable to see green bars in the test tab, then there is a problem with your hardware.
7. Check if it is connected properly or consult your provider for a replacement.
Explore Different Microphone Types and clear all your confusions.
4. Microphone not working on the laptop: How to Make It Work?
Configuring the problem in a laptop is similar to others. First of all, you must see that which operating system you have. Two methods are mentioned above for both Windows 10 and Windows 8.
However, there will be a slight difference. In contrast to Computer, a laptop also has its microphone, hence you must make sure that the default recording device is your desired one.
For that purpose, you must follow through with the following steps:
1. Click on the Windows button on the bottom left corner to open Start Menu.
2. Click on the Settings button on the left side to open the settings.
3. From there you must go to Privacy first to see if the device you want to use is enabled.
4. If yes, then you need to go to the Sound tab to select your desired device as Default Recording Device.
5. You can also test your microphone from there, and decrease or increase its levels.
6. If the problem persists then there is a problem with your hardware.
5. Microphone Not Working on Windows 8.1
Windows 8.1 is a slightly enhanced version of Windows 8 which is better is security ad features. However, it also sometimes irritates you with a Microphone not working problem.
However, if you do face such a problem you can use the following steps to get it working:
1. Move the cursor to the Top-Right corner of your screen.
2. A Tab will appear revealing certain icons, click on Settings (Gear Shaped Icon).
3. A right-side tab will appear, from their open Control Panel.
4. Click on Sound and Hardware in the Control Panel.
5. Under the Sound tab, click on Manage Audio Devices.
6. Click on the Recording tab.
7. From here you can select your desired device as Default Recording Device.
8. When you select it, check if green bars appear on its right side when you are speaking.
9. If, yes then your device is configured and working.
10. If No, then double-click on the properties and increase the level of the microphone to 100.
11. Then, check again. If the green bars appear your device is good to go, otherwise it might be facing a hardware problem.
12. So, you can contact your provider either to get it replaced or claim a warranty.
Learn more about the Best Smartphone Microphones and catch full HD audio with your mobile phone.
6. Microphone Drivers Problem – It Can Occur After Installing New Windows
Sometimes, the audio input drivers on your device are outdated or get uninstalled due to some reason. Also, this can occur after installing a new operating system.
You can configure this problem easily after following through the following simple steps:
1. Open Device Manager by either searching it in the Start Menu (If you are using Windows 10) or by opening it from My Computer’s Properties if you are using older operating systems.
2. A dialogue box will appear. On that screen, open the Audios and Inputs Section.
3. From there, click on the device which you identify as your recording device, and a new window will appear.
4. On that window, find Uninstall button to delete the drivers.
5. Now remove the microphone’s jack from your laptop or computer, and plug it again in.
6. Windows will automatically install the drivers of your audio device.
7. If this doesn’t happen that means your Windows is stuck on the Updates.
8. You can either update Windows or install drivers manually.
9. For installing the driver manually, you can go to your computer or laptop’s manufacturer’s website and locate the drivers from there.
10. These days each manufacturer has their Support Assistant app which automatically locates required drivers and then downloads and installs them.
Now, your microphone is all ready to go.
7. Easy Microphone Not Working Fixes In 2021
Modern Windows allow you to use the Troubleshooter which can solve your problems much easier. You can also use it in the Microphone Not Working problem.
Once you open the Troubleshooter from where you test your microphone, it will automatically give you options through which you can navigate and locate your problem.
Once you have located your problem, the Troubleshooter gives the possible solutions. You can select to set a microphone as a default recording device or enable a microphone to resolve your problem.
If the problems persist, the manufacturers and operating system provide online live support which can help you resolve your problems. So, unless there is a problem with the hardware, it can always be easily resolved.
8. Most Commonly Occurring Problems:
Here are a few of the most commonly occurring problems which can cause your microphone to not work properly. All of there have been discussed above, so this will summarize all things.
1. First of all, check if your headset or microphone is properly connected and turned on.
2. If your headset has a mute button, make sure it isn’t active.
3. Check in the Audio and Inputs section of Device Manager if your device is connected and drivers are installed.
4. Check in the Sound tab in the Privacy option of Settings if your device is enabled and has access to the app you are trying to use it for.
5. Check in the Sounds tab of Hardware and Sound if your desired microphone is selected as Default Recording Device.
6. In the Device Properties, check if the levels are up to maximum i.e. 100.
7. Check the Microphone from the green bars that appear when you speak.
8. You can also use the Troubleshooter to locate the problem.
If you followed all of these steps and you still don’t see the green bars, you must contact your provider and ask for a replacement or a warranty claim. The guide can only do so much, unfortunately, we won’t be teaching how to fix the headset.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How do I fix my mic not working?
You must first specify your operating system and follow the steps in the above guide. However, the best and easiest way to locate your problem is through using Troubleshooter.
2. Why is my mic not working?
There might be several reasons. Either your mic is not enabled, or it might not be selected as the default recording device. Moreover, there is also a chance that you have no drivers for the device or the drivers are outdated. You can solve these problems by following the guide above.
3. How do I enable my microphone?
You must go to “Setting>Privacy>Sound” from the Start Menu. From there you can enable your microphone and also change its access for all apps manually.
4. Why is my mic not working but I can hear?
There can be several problems. Either your microphone is not set as default or not enabled. Maybe you have enabled the mute function in your headset. There is also a chance that the level of the microphone is so low it can’t capture the sound. You can resolve this issue by using the above guide.
5. How to resolve microphone not working issues on Windows 10 easily?
To solve the issue in the easiest possible way, you must first know the issue. For that purpose, you can use the Windows Troubleshooter to locate the root of the problem, and then you can easily nip it in the bud. No matter what your problem is, you can resolve it using the above guide.
Some Last Words:
We have compiled this guide and tried to cover every possible solution most easily. We hope that it can help you in solving your “Microphone Not Working” problem.